Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2007

where to begin

It's not august yet, and I am thinking of my favorite month October. I can still wear my Reef Flip Flops, but my toes get cold in the morning. I can dress in orange and proudly display my halloween collection (WHICH if anyone noticed is up all year around!) Autumn is that magical time of year I love so much, but I am still stuck in July, with 103 degree days.There is only a light cooling off at night.
It's so hot it almost hurts to breathe, the air is dry and my hair crackles with electricity. My skin itches, my eyes fog. Don't get me wrong I love summer, but Autumn is my favorite, only I miss the flowers growing on the porch then.
Right now, I have Moon flowers winding there way up my fence on my tiny little patio.


Ipomoea alba, otherwise known as Moonflowers are so called because they bloom in the evening. They have large 4 to 6 inch fragrant, white or pink flowers on twining vines. The flowers open quickly in the evening and last through the night, remaining open until touched by the morning Sun.

Moonflowers grow to a height of about 15 feet. The leaves are rather large which allows the plant to be used as an annual in a northern garden. Propagation is usually by seed. The seed should be nicked with a file and then soaked overnight before planting. Moonflowers should be planted when the Moon is new or increasing in light!

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

Those flowers are sooooo pretty!!!

I'm a summer person but I can't take that kind of heat. We're suppose to have a hot week but I think we're only talking 93 degrees.

Blog Archive