Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hearst Castle

Lulu In Hollywood

I have been reading "Lulu in Hollywood" written by Louise Brooks. She isn't as good of a writer as she thought she was, it's an interesting story, but her descriptions are sometimes tedious to follow. She says she was at the William Randolf Hearst Castle several times with WR's Lover's niece; Pepi Lederer. Whoa! try to say that three times very fast. Pepi Lederer was her friend. Pepi jumped from a building to her death in 1935. I think Louise Brooks writes rather coldly of someone she had called "friend".
When I looked at the guest list on the front page of the castle website, there is no mention of Louise Brooks. Perhaps... because she wasn't as famous as Clark Gable or some of the others, William Randolph didn't think she counted.
I am not sure what I think of Louise Brooks, she seemed a bit spoiled and full of herself. Her stardom not so much, but I would have to see one of her silent films before I made the final call.

No comments:

Blog Archive